It is a landlocked, a settled area that is established
on the foot of Yatagan Mountain. The economy of the district is
generally based on agriculture, industry, and forestry. Forests
cover a large portion of land distribution in the district.
Yatagan and its region have three hundred years of marble
reserves globally competitive. The marbles are in high quality, has plenty of crystals and it
has a feature which keeps the wax perfectly .60% of the marble needs
of our country are covered by marble industry in this region
and marble is exported to 63 countries.
Yatagan which is known for its thermal power plant rather
than its tourist property, actually has many natural and historical
richness. Bozüyük neighborhood is urban conservation
area. There are 19 registered civil architecture models structures
in this conservation area.
District which is located in the southwest of Anatolia, is
within the limits became known as first Caria and then Menteşe
While Ottoman Sultan Orhan was annexing to Ankara in 1354,
Ahiler was living here independently. In 1360, Ottoman Sultan 1.
Murat, dominated Ahiler.
In 1402, Ottoman Sultan Yıldırım Beyazıt, was defeated
by Mogul Emperor Timurlenk in the Battle of Ankara..Ahiler living in
this region, they succumbed to the Mongol invasions anymore and
dispersed to various regions.
Ahi Abu Bakr and his brother Ahi Sinan, came to Menteşe
land and settled to the foot of Yatağan Mountain. After a while,
Ahiköy was called to the region where Ahiler was living.
Ahiköy remained until 1944 as a sub-district. Yatagan means that Turkish
sword in length of 50-100 cm that curves slightly from the hilt to the
end. It appeared initially in the beginning of 14th century. Its body’s
made of the steel, the hilt’s made of the horn, and it used to be
worn in waist with a thick belt. The places of production of this knife
used to be called Yatağan. Also, the name of Fisherman of Halicarnassus’s
boat in Bodrum was Yatağan.
Ahiköy was changed as Yatağan and has become district by the law 4662 numbered at the date of 02.06.1944.
Stratonikeia Ancient City
Stratonikeia ancient city, is one of the most important settlements of Caria. King of Syria Selefkos’s son, Antiyokos found this city for his lover named Stratonekia, and the name of the city comes from her. The oldest signs of the city are dated from Mycenaean
era. In addition, the city consists of “kome”s in Archaic era and Classic era. Today, visible and partly lasted buildings are North City
Gate and north street, Gymnasion, Theatre, Bouleterion, Temple, and City wall. Theatre and Gymnasion located inside of the city demonstrate that the city existed in the Hellenistic era, too. The gymnasion is predicted to be 105 meters and 108 meters dimensions. This is the biggest gymnasion
known with these estimated measures. It is one of the rare places that both the structure and urban fabric of Stratonikeia Ancient era with
Ottoman and Republican era can be seen. Plenty of buildings from various eras and its historical environment is making the city a unique opportunity
Panamara Ancient City
Panarama ancient city takes place in the southeast part of Eskihisar.Remains are on the hill that is over Bağyaka village. It is considered that
there were 2 temples , one of them is the Temple of Zeus, and the other one dedicated to his wife Hera.
The holy city Lagina is placed in the Caria region. Hekate Temple became the most important religious center after the cult of the Goddess Hekate from Anatolia was unearthed. The friezes of Lagina Hekate Temple is exhibited in Istanbul Archaeology Museum.
Yatağan Rock Church
Frescos are in the northern side of a rock 30-40m in height. In the eastern side of the rock, there are four scenes in a limited area with a red
flat frame. These frescos line left to right, angel figure, a man and a woman embraced, Mary with two Saints and Jesus with a male figure.
Frescos are dated from 13. 14. centuries.
Lagina is also an important religious center of Caria. It is located within the limits of the Turgut Neighborhood that is in 12 km north-east
Signs and inscriptions around Lagina show that the city is date from 7th century B.C. .There is a holy way which links Stratonikeia and
Lagina. The key of the dead world door was taken from the Temple of Lagina Hekate and used to carried via this holy way with a great ceremony in Hekate Festivals.